Monday 27 April 2020

My Pear-Shaped Life


So what do you do when there's a lockdown and the library and the bookshops are closed and you've run out of physical books to read? You download Wheelers ePlatform and BorrowBox and read an eBook on your cellphone. 

Being used to only reading books in physical format, I knew if I was venturing into the eBook world I had to find somthing that would grab me and My Pear-Shaped Life by Irish author Carmel Harrington did just that. This being her ninth book, I now want to read some of her other titles.

This is a reasonably light read about a young Irish woman named Greta Gale who has always struggled with weight issues but also a reliance on sleeping pills. After featuring in an advertisement as a child, Greta's greatest ambition is to become an actor but her issues are starting to catch up with her. Cue a stint in rehab and then her much loved uncle surprises her with a road trip across parts of the United States of America and he's going along for the ride too. He has his own issues to resolve.

I don't want to give too much more away except to say the classic The Wizard of Oz and another woman by the name of Greta Gale feature a lot in this book.

For my first eBook I'm glad I chose this one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment