Thursday 10 August 2017

A Room Full of Words


"Hi, is that Ruth? I'm Abbey, I'm just calling up about the Rotorua Scrabble Club. Are you guys meeting tomorrow?"
"Hi Abbey, yes it's on tomorrow. Are you thinking about coming along?"
"Yeah I am. I love Scrabble and I've often thought about heading along but I've always been working."
"When you arrive you will be given a list of 2-letter words and a list of 3-letter words. If you join up we will give you other lists [containing bigger words with 4 letters or more]."
"Okay thanks, I will see you tomorrow"
"See you Abbey, look forward to seeing you there.''
That was my introduction to the Rotorua Scrabble Club. Ruth sounded nice and I thought I may as well go along. I love Scrabble.
So this morning I got up on time and had breakfast. I was thinking I don't want to go. What happens if I lose? I'm nervous. I used to be a journalist and was quite content to rock up anywhere (mostly) and chat to people but for some reason I was nervous. I guess it's that fear of meeting new people. No I'm going to do this. I'd been to an arts gathering the night before where I didn't really know anyone and no one ate me.
I drove to Parksyde, a venue built in Rotorua originally for the older generation but I know for a fact that people of all ages actually meet there. I arrive at 8.55am. Scrabble starts at 9am. There doesn't seem to be anyone around. Maybe I'll leave and no one will notice. I ask a man where the Scrabblers are as he points to a room at the other end of the complex. A lady follows me. "Are you going to Scrabble?''
"Ahh yes I am."
She points in the direction of the other Scrabblers. There are about 18 or so there and Scrabble Boards, each set up on small Lazy Susans - a round table which spins.  I scan the room and recognise one or two faces. A warm and caring looking lady looks at me and smiles. "Are you Abbey?" "Are you Ruth?'' we almost say in unison.
After some pleasantries, they pair me up with Val - she is a relief teacher. I recognise her surname from my years as a journo. We talk briefly but then it's all eyes down and time for play. Yes I lose but this lady is an English teacher who plays Scrabble A LOT! Oh well.
It's 10am - morning tea time and we all wander to another room - the cafe part of Parksyde.
We sit at two long tables. I meet a lady from Paengaroa who comes over every week for Scrabble and she asks me what I do. I give my usual line "I'm in between jobs at the moment". We chat and she is very encouraging. So are the other ladies around her. It's very relaxed and no one's trying to brag about themselves. It's like "this is me, you can take me or leave me but I'm happy with me''.
The lady from Paengaroa looks at her watch. "We better be getting back to Scrabble''. I play two more games - one against a lady whose name I can't remember and a lady called Wendy who congratulates me on pronouncing her surname correctly. As the morning draws closer to the end - midday, Ruth, who I've watched as she played two games simultaneously, sits down next to me.
"What did you think of today?" she asks.
"Yeah it was great. I lost all three games but never mind"
"Do you think you will come back next week?''
"Yeah as long as I don't have a job.''
"Great, see you next week then,'' says Ruth. We all should be thankful for people in our communities like Ruth.
I'm looking forward to seeing her again next Thursday and getting those lists of bigger words.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment