Saturday 14 October 2017

Must Reads for Dog or Cat Lovers



Nearly six years ago I would never have thought about reading a book about animals but then our  miniature Fox Terrier, we named Dollar, arrived on December 24, 2011. Well he actually arrived three months earlier but we found him at a pet shop on that Christmas Eve and we just knew we had to take him home with us. He has brought joy, fun times and happiness to us!

He has also encouraged me to read more books about animals and I have bought a number, often times when we are on holiday and I'm apart from him. So I thought I'd jot down a list here of a few of my faves.

1. Cleo by Helen Brown

This is the true story of a cat named Cleo and the joy, healing and love he brought to his owner Helen Brown and her family after tragedy struck while they were living in Wellington, New Zealand. Brown is a New Zealand journalist now living in Australia. They say journalists make good authors of books. I'm not sure if that's always true but in this case it definitely is. I remember reading this book on a plane back from Melbourne and just being engrossed in it. Brown went on to write After Cleo: Came Jonah - also a brilliant book. Several years later and she is about to release another cat-related book and I can't wait to read it.

2. Dewey - The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron with Bret Witter

This is the true story of a kitten found by Vicki Myron in the night drop box of the library in the town of Spencer, Iowa where she worked. Dewey, who was named by the community, grew into a adorable library cat, and also became quite famous with people travelling long distances to meet him. If you love books about libraries and/or cats, you will definitely love this one. It has been a few years since I've read this but I remember I couldn't put it down. Maybe time to re-read it.

3. A Cat Called Norton - The True Story of an Extraordinary Cat and his Imperfect Human by Peter Gethers

This is taken from the back of this book - "Peter was a confirmed loner and cat hater, until he was given a small, grey (and impeccably handsome) kitten with folded ears by his then girlfriend. The girlfriend went but Norton stayed - in fact, he and Peter became inseparable". I loved this book so much I went on to buy the other two in the series -
  • For The Love of Norton - The Cat Who Taught His Human How to Live 
  • Forever Norton - The Perfect Cat, his Flawed Human and Life's Greatest Lessons
Stunning books but be aware you may need a box of tissues handy at times.

4. Peggy & Me by Miranda Hart

I love Miranda Hart as a comedian. I love her show on TV. I read her first book and I think I struggled to finish it. A few years later she went on to write Peggy & Me about the relationship between her and her Shih-Tzu Bichon Frise cross puppy named Peggy. The book is hilarious and switches narrators. Sometimes Miranda is narrating and other times the story is told through the eyes of Peggy. This book was "such fun" as Miranda's onscreen mother would say. I did read it while on holiday and ended up not finishing it but that wasn't because I didn't like it. It was more that I just had too big a TBR (To Be Read) pile to get through. I found this book such a comfort and remember trying not  to laugh out loud while reading it in a cafe at the British War Museum in London while waiting for my husband.

5. The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

This is a fictional tale told through the eyes of a dog called Enzo. It's a great book and if you ever wondered what your pet is thinking, take a read of this book and you may just get a better idea.  You may never want to leave you dog at home alone for any length of time again.

No comments:

Post a Comment