Sunday 2 December 2018

Best Fiction For 2018 - A Month of Sundays


If you were asked to pick a book you've read that tells others a bit about you, what would you choose?

I have a few I could think of and one of those may be this book A Month of Sundays by Australian author and journalist Liz Byrski. 

Byrski has written a lot of fiction and this one caught my eye when I saw the bookshelves on its cover, read the synopsis and the author's letter at the start about how much she wanted to write a book about books. 

A Month of Sundays tells the story of four retired/soon-to-be-retired women, who have met for more  than 10 years as part of an online book club. They've never met in person until one of the women suggests they do so. She invites them to help her house-sit in the Blue Mountains for a month. They're each asked to bring a book which will teach the others more about her. They have a week to read each of the respective books chosen while also spending time getting to know each other. Each Sunday they discuss one of the books.

I loved the portrayal of each of the four women and their past and present stories. Each is dealing with different issues - sickness, business ventures, approval of others and family relationships - to name a few. 

I couldn't put this book down. It is easily the best piece of fiction I've read in 2018.

1 comment: