Wednesday 17 June 2020

Gilmore Girls Thanks For Keeping Me Sane During Lockdown


Tonight my binge watching days come to an end. It's only taken three years, a pandemic and subsequent lockdown to watch seven seasons (153 episodes) of the very popular American comedy/drama Gilmore Girls.

I never watched the show when it screened on New Zealand television. I remember it being either on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon and I may have caught parts of one or two episodes. I just couldn't quite get it and couldn't handle all the chit chat between the main characters Lorelai Gilmore and her daughter Rory. 

And then I got talking to someone I met through my previous job, who has subsequently become a good mate, and she could not stop talking about Gilmore Girls. She lent me a book - a memoir written by Lauren Graham, who plays Lorelai, and urged me to watch the show. 

So three or so years ago I promptly went out and bought all seven seasons on DVD. I watched the first three seasons and then stopped. I didn't lose interest as such but just wasn't up to watching the rest of the seasons then.

Cue late March 2020 when it was announced New Zealand would be going into lockdown due to Covid 19 and out came the rest of the seasons. Since then I've watched an episode a day, sometimes more. I nearly joined up to Netflix the other week to finish watching all the seasons when I thought our DVD player was about to breathe its last. Tonight I will watch the final episode and I feel kind of sad. However, I still have the reboot season to look forward to.
Here are the reasons why I love Gilmore Girls.

  • All of the many characters and their quirks
  • The relationship between Lorelai and her parents
  • The love interests of both Lorelai and Rory and I am firmly Team Luke.
  • The lovable and weirdness that is Kirk
  • The community that is Stars Hollow
  • The friendship between Lorelai, Sookie and Michel
  • The friendship between Rory and Lane
  • The friendship between Rory and Paris
  • The many funny lines and moments 
  • And last, but definitely not least, the chit chat and close bond between Lorelai and Rory
And just a footnote - thanks Monique Vincent for introducing me to the people of and community that is Stars Hollow.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment