Sunday 27 February 2022

One Ordinary Day At A Time

 


The cover of this book first caught my attention while on display at the library I work at. I turned to the synopsis/blurb on the back of the book and saw the name "Gail Honeyman". That was enough for me to pick it up and start reading.

Honeyman is the author of one of my favourite books Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine and any other book that mentions this title or the author's name usually makes me want to read said book. I reckon Gail Honeyman should start charging royalties for the number of times a book is compared to hers... but I digress.

To be honest as much I enjoyed One Ordinary Day at a Time by Sarah J. Harris I was in two minds about whether to review it. It does have some strong themes which are difficult to read about but they are not the sole focus of this book.

The two main characters are Simon Sparks aka One Star Simon and Jodie (whose surname is never mentioned). They've both had difficult upbringings which have shaped who they are as adults. Jodie has a young son Zak and is trying to find work. She gets a job at Prince Burger where she meets Simon. The chapters alternate between Simon and Jodie and there are several other characters in the book who have 
had influences on the pair - some good, some not so much.

I couldn't stop reading this book and may have spent several hours in one sitting reading it. There are a few twists and turns in this book and one that took me quite by surprise. I had absolutely no idea it was coming. 

There are a lot of good messages in this book. Here's a few.
  • Never judge someone on first appearance/meeting   
  • You can move on despite your past
  • Friendships are important
  • Don't take people for granted
Well written and easy to read, this book has some funny moments and also some heartbreaking moments. It's a story about the development of a beautiful friendship. I loved both of the main characters and I reckon Simon and Jodie will stick with me for some time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment