Wednesday 21 March 2018

Bring Back Snail Mail!


It didn't take too long for the memories of my grandmother to flood back after reading this beautiful book Snail Mail by Michelle Mackintosh.

In the book she talks about aerograms. Who remembers those? I certainly do. I remember writing to my grandmother aka Oma Wolters on them. She lived in the Netherlands and would visit me and her other grandchildren in New Zealand every two years when I was young.

I remember being excited about going to Auckland International Airport to pick her up. She would always give us a big cuddle at the airport and then when we all arrived home after a two-hour trip, she would open her suitcase to reveal what she had brought us.

It was usually Hagelslag - a chocolate or other flavoured sprinkle, a large chocolate letter - usually the first letter of our name, very salty licorice and other treats.

After lots of tears saying goodbye at the airport before she flew home, we would always try to keep in touch. Sending an aerogram was the most cost effective way. I loved writing to her but my biggest bugbear was that many of the aerograms in those days were not lined so my writing was all wonky. I'm sure she appreciated receiving them anyway. She would send us aerograms in return.

Sorry I digress but the sign of a good book often is the memories they stir up.  This book, which I found while shelving books at my local library where I work, covers all types of snail mail, the lost art of manners, lettiquette and netiquette. It compares telegrams to Twitter and postcards to Facebook. It has so many ideas for creative letters, invites and other crafty correspondence and ideas. It looks at how we should start and finish letters. It has templates to make envelopes and the aerogram and ideas for invites. It features some examples of some great letters written. The best thing about this book is its beautiful illustrations and layout.

If you love stationery, paper arts or just simply want to send a letter, have a flick through this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment