Tuesday 27 March 2018

On the Bright Side


So let me start off by saying that I didn't finish this book. It's another year in the life of Hendrik Groen and I got to the end of July. I didn't finish it because I didn't like it. I didn't finish it because it wasn't the right time to read it. I don't think I've given up on a book for that reason but there is always a first for everything.

The first diary of Hendrik Groen was one of my favourite books that I've read in the past few years and I couldn't wait for this book On The Bright Side - The New Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen to be translated from Dutch into English.

In the first book Hendrik Groen is 83 and a 1/4. In this book he is 85 and maybe a little bit crankier but still making the most of life with his mates who are all part of the Old But Not Dead Club at the resthome they live at in the Netherlands.

Members of the club are also all members of the resthome's Residents' Committee. The club now goes on fortnightly dinner excursions to a restaurant with various international cuisine. They also still have their regular outings including a two day trip to Bruges where they visit the Frites (Fries) Museum. Their visit to the museum ends in a letter written about their visit and their view on the fries.
And I quote from the letter - " We were counting on a masterful fry but it was limp, too pale and made from an inferior tasteless spud".

The book has some hilarious lines but I don't think it's as funny as the first book.

It deals with death a lot more than the first book, which given the residents' age, is not surprising. I guess that is why I struggled with it at the moment, having recently lost an older person who was very dear to me.

I'm still a huge fan of Hendrik. I love his character, his attitude and most of his outlook on life. One day I will pick the book up and read August to December.

3 comments:

  1. Guess what I got out of the library today? The first of Hendrik's books! Coincidental that you should review his second book today,Abbey!
    A book that I read on the weekend and highly recommend is The Woolgrower's Companion by Joy Rhoades. Debut novel and a great read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation. Hope you enjoy the first Hendrik Groen book. Hendrik as a character has some interesting views on some things that I don't necessarily agree with but I love his attitude to life!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed the second Hendrik book as well!

    ReplyDelete