Tuesday 12 September 2017

A Place to Go


Over recent months I’ve come to appreciate an asset in our community – the local library.

It’s funny how it has taken being unemployed to understand the role a library plays in its community.
Four years ago I walked away from a 19-year career. I found other work but left there a few months ago as I knew I wanted to do something else with what’s left of my working life.

I have been unemployed for three months and I admit I’m not a fan but I have places like the local library to thank for keeping me sane. It has been a Godsend.  

Ultimately, it has been a place to go. Going to the library has given me a break away from job hunting.

As a self-confessed retail therapy addict, the library has provided a more affordable alternative to the clothes and book stores I normally frequent. I don’t feel so bad paying $1 to reserve a book I really want to read or $3 for a new release or the best thing - getting the book for free.

Ironically, I have a stack of books I bought during a recent trip overseas which I haven’t even touched yet as I’ve been getting books out of the library – a concept my husband and I’m sure others may find difficult to understand.

At the start of this week the first thing I did was drive to the library and look for a book I’d reserved after an email popped up from the library saying it was available for me to pick up. Being unemployed has made me appreciate the small things in life so getting the email was excitement in itself. Getting the book was even better.

During Monday’s visit to the library I also looked at another book on the New Releases shelf which people on Facebook were talking about. Meanwhile, I still had another three TBR (to-be-read) books at home from the library.

Our library, albeit in temporary premises, is a hive of activity.  Every time I go in, there are people in every corner.  The other day two people sat at a desk, one helping the other to read. In another area, there was a line of computers with a person sitting at each one. In the self-service queue a young girl helped her father pull a stack of more than 20 mostly children’s books from a trolley and tap them on the electronic screen. People were sitting reading in other parts of the library or scanning the shelves. Outside a group of young people were milling about and singing.

Libraries have changed. They are not just about the books. They are about providing a place for people to meet, to have community, to get information, to seek comfort whether that be in the form of books or in help from someone else.

Footnote – Maybe one day I would like to work in one!


No comments:

Post a Comment