Wednesday 27 September 2017

Tuesdays with Morrie


If there is any book or movie I can't stop recommending it would be Tuesdays with Morrie.

I actually watched the movie starring Jack Lemmon as Morrie Schwartz and Hank Azaria as Mitch Albom a number of times before in recent years finally buying the book which is unusual for me as I normally like to read the book before seeing the movie.

This is the true story of Mitch, a sports journalist at the time, who meets up with his college professor Morrie 20 years later. Morrie has ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis), also known as Motor Neurone Disease. Morrie only has months to live and Mitch visits him every Tuesday.

The first paragraph of the book sums it up well.
"The last class of my old professor's life took place once a week in his house, by a window in the study where he could watch a small hibiscus plant shed its pink leaves. The class met on Tuesdays. It began after breakfast. The subject was The Meaning of Life. It was taught from experience".

During every meeting they discuss some strong themes including death, regrets, feeling sorry for yourself, family, emotions, marriage, the fear of aging and forgiveness.

Every time I watch the movie I cry. When I read the book I cried. The book teaches some great life lessons and really makes you think and reflect. It's a book I can re-read and always take something new from.

Highly recommended reading and definitely a 5 out of 5 stars for Tuesdays with Morrie - both the book and the movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment