Monday 18 September 2017

The Bridge Ladies


For 50 years Roz and her friends Rhoda, Bea, Jackie and Bette have met every Monday afternoon and played Bridge.

In this memoir The Bridge Ladies, Roz's daughter Betsy Lerner, who grew up watching these women play Bridge, tells their stories.

In each chapter Lerner spends time with each woman and tells their stories about their families, upbringings, jobs, triumphs, struggles and what these weekly Bridge meetings have meant to them. In the book you also see the relationship between Lerner and her mother, its strengths and weaknesses.

Lerner joins a Bridge Club and learns how to play the game. Even her description of how to play the game kept me captivated. To be fair I still don't know how to play Bridge but this book was incentive enough for me to join a club, recently joining my local Scrabble Club. 

I tend to agree with author Amy Chua's praise of the book "It's the best book about mothers and daughters I've read in decades, maybe ever''.

I bought this book after its cover jumped out at me in a bookshop. It is beautifully written and I couldn't put it down. It would be in my top five favourite memoirs.







No comments:

Post a Comment