Wednesday 13 September 2017

Childhood Heroes and Coming Full Circle on Roald Dahl Day


Today is September 13 (in New Zealand) - Roald Dahl Day so I thought it only apt to jot down my thoughts on the day we celebrate the much loved author. 

I love Roald Dahl's books. I remember talking to someone a while back and they said they weren't a fan because all he talked about was food. I couldn't believe that I had found someone who didn't like Roald Dahl.

To celebrate the day Penguin has very kindly made available six of the Roald Dahl heroes as printable bookmarks. There's Charlie, Matilda, George, Billy, Sophie and James. I printed the bookmarks, dashed to the local stationery store and had them laminated. Now I have six bookmarks. 

Talk about coming full circle. As a child I used to make bookmarks as gifts for Christmas and birthdays. (By the way I've included the link below which will take you straight to the page where you can print your own bookmarks.)

But in making these bookmarks, it got me thinking, they'd left out my favourite Roald Dahl hero - Danny from Danny the Champion of the World.
I love that book. I remember re-reading it a few years ago and realising that when I read it as a child I had no idea what the word poaching meant. I loved Danny and I loved reading about his relationship with his father. They live in a caravan and Danny absolutely adores his Dad. One day he finds out his father has been breaking the law - he has been poaching pheasants. The book takes the pair on various pheasant-poaching adventures. If you haven't read it, do so. It's a wonderful book.

No comments:

Post a Comment